FCYFL Age and Weight Matrix
In an effort to ensure we continue to serve our community and the largest group of children, the Board of Commissioners approved a small modification to the FCYFL Age and Weight Matrix to adjust the upper weight classes (130lbs and 155lbs) to be more inclusive of the majority of middle school age children so that they may participate and prepare for High School ball.
In addition to the weight matrix, the FCYFL divides most of the Weight Classes into 3 development levels or Divisions. We believe that the combination of the weight matrix with the 3 skill levels will provide the vast majority of kids with the opportunity to be successful at their own pace. There are 2 exceptions to the 3 skill levels: 1) at Anklebiters (AB) all children are considered to be Developmental, and 2) at the 155lb weight class where participation levels prevent splitting into multiple teams and the majority of the kids are on the last stage before moving on to High School football.
This Age and Weight Matrix is OFFICIAL. Until such time as the Official Rules are updated, the below matrix will continue to serve as the OFFICIAL matrix. The minimum weight requirement for participating is 40 lbs for Anklebiters and 56 lbs for other weight classes. Players must weigh at or greater than the minimum by the official weigh-in (Typically mid-to-late August).
FCYFL Age Matrix
(If you have any questions regarding this age matrix, please contact your local club's commissioner.)
Birthday Age Cutoff Dates: Ages 7-11 and 14 - Age on October 1; Ages 15-16 - 15-year-olds that turn 16 on or before December 31st must play 155 lbs. No player that turns 17 on or before December 31st is eligible to play.
* Maximum weight for a player to carry the ball in Anklebiters is 70 lbs. Anklebiter players over the 70lb limit and all other unlimited players at other weight classes are not eligible to play in a position that normally handles the ball unless they are at or below the listed maximum ball carrier weight (the weight limit listed next to "Unlimited/" on the chart above). Positions excluded for unlimited players exceeding the maximum ballcarrier limit include all offensive backfield positions, all eligible receivers and tight end positions, and any position not on the first line of a special teams formation. Exceptions include the offensive positions of center, punter, and placekicker.
** 15-year-olds that turn 16 on or before December 31st must play 155 lbs.
*** 16-year-olds that turn 17 on or before December 31st are not eligible to play.
Identification and verification
Each player must obtain a Player Identification Card. The card will be required as an official player identification at all FCYFL Weigh-Ins, and upon demand by the FCYFL Standards and Rules Committee pursuant to the execution of the Committee's official duties.
Player Identification Card shall be the sole allowable proof of age in determining a player's eligibility.
Accepted Player Identification Cards
Commonwealth of Virginia Identification Card as issued by the Virginia Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV).
The participant information on the card must match the information on their registration, including their current address. The card must be current and not expired.
Visit the VA DMV website for more information on obtaining an ID card.
NOTE: It may take up to 2 weeks to obtain the card, so it is important that it is obtained as soon as the player is registered. They will not be able to weigh in without it. Receipts from the DMV are NOT acceptable as a substitute for the actual ID.
Commonwealth of Virginia Learner's Permit as issued by the Virginia DMV.
The participant information on the card must match the information on their registration, including their current address. The card must be current and not expired. Only official picture IDs will be accepted. Temporary paper permits or receipts are not acceptable.
Commonwealth of Virginia Driver's License as issued by the Virginia DMV.
The participant information on the card must match the information on their registration, including their current address. The card must be current and not expired. Only official picture IDs will be accepted. Temporary paper licenses or receipts are not acceptable.
No other Identification Cards/Proof of Age and Residence are acceptable.
All identification cards must be valid, current, and issued within the time frame noted above.
All Player Identification Cards of eligible participants shall be maintained during the football season by the Player. All Player Identification Cards shall be available on demand from FCYFL Standards and Rules Committee members.
If at any time during the season, a protest is filed against a player, the Commissioner and Head Coach of the player against whom the protest has been lodged shall attend the FCYFL Standards and Rules Committee Meeting or Weigh-In, as specified, with the Player Identification Card.
Other Requirements and/or Rules
- A player will have only one chance to make his weight. Once he steps on an official scale and is found to be overweight, he must move up to the proper higher weight class. A player who cannot move to a higher weight class, either because their league does not file a higher weight class team, or because they fall outside the boundaries of the weigh-in requirements for any class, may be allowed a second weigh-in at a time and place designated by the Standards and Rules Committee Vice-Chairman.
- There will be no waivers for weight.
- All players must be officially weighed in to become eligible for FCYFL competition.
- All youth registered with one organization become a member of that organization's team roster at the time of their official Weigh-In and cannot be transferred to another organization's team during the football season and post-season.
- Youth shall wear gym shorts or bathing suits at a minimum. Youth shall wear only one of each of shorts (or bathing suit), t-shirt, and socks as a maximum. No long pants, coats, shoes, football uniforms, or other heavier garments will be allowed.
- Late weigh-ins if deemed necessary by the FCYFL shall be conducted at a time and place to be announced, with a per-player late weigh-in fee, paid to FCYFL.
See the official rulebook for additional information